Antique aficionados show support for this incredible collection of (5) early 1900s Boston Garter display cases. Designed for store counter positioning these handsome displays are emblazoned with various manufacturer’s graphics. Presenting in overall remarkably well preserved condition this handsome group is highlighted by a 13-1/2 x 12-1/2 x 4-1/2” metal unit with amazing lithograph artwork featuring a dapper gentleman trying on the product. The (4) wood pieces show excellence in craftsmanship. Also present are (7) garter boxes. More on our website.
Compact, stylish wood and glass design recommends a new career for these attractive antiques as they seem perfectly suited for displaying high-end baseball cards, especially for those fortunate few who are in possession of 1912 or 1914 Boston Garter cards. Considered amongst the rarest of baseball card issues these cards were available to retailers as one per pack of twelve garters. The complete list of included items is as follows:
1) 13-1/2 x 12-1/2 x 4-1/2” metal unit with mahogany colored background and lithograph artwork featuring a man trying on a pair of garters which were designed to prevent socks from falling down around the ankles. The depicted figure is flanked by graphics which read as “ Pad, Boston, Velvet Grip” on the left, “Pad, Garter, Velvet Grip” on the right and “Holds your sock smooth as your skin” below. The graphics continue to cleverly wrap around the end panels in garter-like fashion. The reverse contains two shelves and the base is made of wood which extends in classic design fashion approximately a 1/2” all around. This dynamic example shows incredible authentic details enhanced by moderate age appropriate wear.
2) 14x14x7 with walnut colored wood base and top and three glass panels, open at back. Front glass panel features mirrored graphics sections at top which reads as “Quality First, Boston garter, Velvet Grip” in gold lettering against a black background. Very appealing with modest wear on the corners of the wood sections and minor erosion at the ends of the ends of the graphics section which extends a 1/2” inward and does not come close to contacting the lettering.
3) 11 x 12-1/2 x 8” wood unit with mahogany coloring and one removable glass panel (packed separately). Graphics appear on forward facing panel and both side panels in gold letter outlined in black all as “Boston, Trademark, Garter”. Very appealing with minor wear primarily of the front edges of the base and top.
4) 18x14x6 walnut color wood and glass wood and glass case. Three glass panels located at front and both sides. Wood sections are base, top and uprights and wood headboard with embossed graphics “Quality First, Boston Garter, Velvet Grip” somewhat faint due to lack of color. Better grade with minor authentic wear.
5) 14x6x10 mahogany color wood and glass case. Front glass panel present and attached, two side glass panels absent, back was intended to be open. Wood base and top with four wood columns at the corners show moderate wear included a 4” unobtrusive split on the top. Graphics centered on the top are gold letter outlined in black which read as “Boston , Trademark, garter”. Red velvet like lining located inside atop the base is slightly warped resulting in a curved appearance which is slightly bowed upwards. The top is a hinged lid which is fully functioning and bears a gold-leaf “Cautionary Note” from the George Frost Company, the manufacturer of Boston Garters.
1) 3-1/2 x 3-1/2” gray box with side opening flaps and rhombus shaped clear plastic window in attractive condition with light peripheral wear and a small scuff at top right. This box contains unused garters which do not show any wear and are easily viewable through the window as is a cardboard insert which features interesting graphics in the form a valet figure centered between the words “Boston Garters”. This same character appears at lower right on the box front.
2) 4x4 cream colored box with separate lid in appealing condition with small edge chips and light soiling. The box lid features a seated man trying on the product above the “Holds your sock smooth as you skin” slogan. This box contains a pair of garters which show minor wear.
3) 4x4 green box with same details as box item 2) listed above. This box is very appealing with minor corner wear and is empty.
4) 4x4 purple box with same details as box 2) listed above. This box is empty and is in displayable condition with moderate/soiling including separations and 1” of surface paper loss at top left.
5) 4x4 olive colored box with same details as box 2) listed above. This box is empty and has heavy separations along the top and right sides, however central figure is unaffected and the box has display appeal.
6) 7x4 green box in very appealing condition with light age appropriate wear/soiling. This box is empty and features the man featured on box 2) listed above with the “holds your socks” slogan on the right and “Made with the oblong rubber button clasp” on the left.
7) 1-3/8 x 4” white box with red graphics featuring one gartered leg with the words “New Elco” at top and “Soft stretch elastic band with rough back and elastic cord” down the sides. This box is empty and displays in very appealing condition with light age appropriate wear/soiling.